Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Basic lessons in stamping

This past weekend, I began experimenting with my Close to my Heart inks.  For the basic Christmas themed tags, I used the exclusive inks mini pigment pads.  (The tags were cut using the Cricut Artbooking cartridge.)

In the past, if I wanted colours on one stamped image.  I would use markers to colour in each area. For the tags, I decided to see if I could use the small ink pads to come up with similar results.

My experiments introduced and reminded me of some basic stamping tips:

1) STAMPS WITH TEXT - Be sure that your text is facing the right direction (both up and down, as well as side to side).  I wasn't paying attention, and instead of stamping "Ho, ho, ho", I stamped "Oh, oh, oh" - this mistake would have quite a different meaning for a present tag.  To fix it, I turned the tag upside down and added the Christmas candy image. (From Candyland set.)


New mini stamp - SANTA'S GREETING (M1028)
found on page 113 of the Autumn/Winter 2013 CTMH catalogue


2) STAMP PRESSURE AND PLACEMENT - In the past, using wooden stamps, I would oftensort of rock my stamp a little bit to ensure that the entire image transferred from the stamp to the paper.  This technique does not work with acrylic stamps, it creates a smudge, or double line effect. (Shown in the tag above.)  It is important to press firmly on the stamp, with even pressure.  Do not rock or twist the stamp.  When finished, lift the stamp straight up to prevent any errors from occuring within your image.

3) OMBRE - If you are going for the ombre effect, choose a range of shades from light to dark of the same colour.  It is best to test the ink colours on a scrap paper before stamping on your actual project.  I forgot to test mine and discovered that just like paint samples, the colour that results on the project is different from the way the swatch or in this case the ink pad appears.





4)  MULTI-COLOURED - When trying to use more than one colour on the same stamp, there are many different techniques to use.  This particular stamp has images that are very rounded, while the ink pads are square with straight edges.  As such, when I attempted this the first time, I didn't get proper coverage on the edge of the letter that was closest to the next letter.

The second time, I inked from left to right.  I covered the images that I didn't want the ink to touch with a piece of paper.  Using the corner of the ink pad also helped to ensure that the ink didn't bleed over onto the other letters.



First attempt

Second attempt

Stamp from CANDYLAND set (D1557)
found on page 80 of the Autumn/Fall CTMH catalogue

5)  INKING TECHNIQUE - There are many different ways to apply ink to stamps.  For the full size stamp pads, which are firmer, it works best to place the ink pad on a flat, firm surface and press the stamp into the ink.

With the mini pigment pads which are soft with more liquid ink, it is best to do the opposite.  Place the stamp (already placed on the stamp block) on a firm, flat surface and press the ink down onto the stamp. I found a dabbing motion worked best to ensure full coverage.

6) Above all, experiment and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment